How it works
Once you’ve decided you want to mentor with us and support a young person to get on in life, you will decide on two people to nominate as referees and complete our short application form.
<q>”From there it should be pretty straight-forward.”</q>
- Once we have your references we’ll contact you and arrange to meet up.
- You will be introduced to our “How to…. mentor toolkit”: it’s packed full of hints and tips about mentoring.
- We’ll invite you to join the ProjectScotland Volunteer Mentor community on Linkedin and attend a ProjectScotland Ready to Mentor workshop.
- You’ll come along to the workshop and spend about 4 hours having fun while being challenged to think about what mentoring is and how to do it as well as possible.
- Then the magic happens – we hand pick every volunteer mentor to suit each volunteer.
- You and your volunteer meet and start your mentoring journey together.
A little bit more…
We’ve worked with 600 volunteer Mentors nationwide since 2005. That’s taught us to work with diverse groups and across all skill levels. We want our volunteer mentors to feel able and confident to give our volunteers the very best support. At the workshop we work with the group to role-play mentoring conversations giving you the opportunity to observe, take part and learn by asking “how would I do this?” It’s powerful stuff.
We’re here to support you and your volunteer. You can keep in touch as much as you like but at least once a month. Many of our mentors have been with us for years, helping change the lives of thousands of young people across Scotland.
We can’t do it without you!